Ark Brunel uses Ruth Miskin's Read Write Inc. Phonics programme. It is used with Reception and KS1 children who are learning to read and write, and for lower KS2 students who need to catch up.
It is a complete literacy programme taught for 40 minutes a day in Reception and an hour a day in Year 1 and above. It has proven to develop:
- fluent, enthusiastic readers
- a deeper comprehension of texts
- confident speakers
- keen writers.
Throughout the programme, children are taught to:
- learn to read and write letter-sound correspondences quickly
- decode effortlessly, spell and handwrite easily
- comprehend what they read
- read with fluency and expression
- write confidently using oral rehearsal
- work effectively with a partner to articulate their learning at every step.
There are some pupils who need more support than most. After identifying these children, we tutor them for an extra fifteen minutes every day which is provided by highly trained teaching staff.
Read Write Inc has proven to produce excellent results for our end of year Y1 phonics tests.
Click here for some videos to help you understand our phonics programme.